Wednesday 27 April 2011

Task 12: Personal review of the first year

This first year at university has been great and I am glad I made the right choice to study here at De Montfort University because my course is brilliant and it was just like I was expecting and even better. I really like the ways the course has helped me progress with my traditional art skills and in turn helped develop my Photoshop skills. We visited Bradgate Park twice once at the start of the year and just before we left, we had to complete finals for each visit. Here are my finals first one is a water colour completed on the first visit and the second image is a digital paint from sketches and photo references.

As you can see I have improved on my composition and in my colour theory. I have also given the digital paint a lot of atmosphere which the water colour doesn’t have. A suggestion that could be helpful for students in all years could be a couple of hour’s session of critiques and feedback once a week as sometimes I found myself wondering if I was doing enough work as I found time management hard. In my second year I want to keep up the same work rate and even produce more work, personally I would want to see a tutorial or maybe a quick talk on bounce lights as I have not got the hang of getting them correct in my images.
Having come to this course without any previous experience with using any 3D modelling programmes I think I picked up 3dsmax quite well. When there was complaining about 3dsmax from others, I was enjoying and learning about the programme. It is very rewarding when you get to see your final product in 3d on the computer and I really enjoyed the Gladiator model as we got to rig it and we got to see our character move around an environment. I did think for a couple of the tasks we were given too much time was given. I then started to ease off of my work flow and not keeping to my schedule due to the long production time, but this only happened twice. Going in to the second year i would like to see more of our last project which was the gun project, as we got to come up with an original idea and develop it so it included all 3 sub sections (visual design, game production and critical studies). Here is and image of my Gladiator.
The size of the groups for our critical game studies is just right as it is not overcrowded and we can all have a say in the discussions going on. At the start of the year our group wasn’t talking or discussing that much and I think is due to people not knowing each other enough, a suggestion to get around this is could have been a casual presentation/talk at the start of the year which was about the individual i.e. what games we play, what inspires us. Another suggestion is we could have organised to all meet up in one of the rooms for a general chat or even a trip to a pub for pint. I found the talks to be helpful as I have learned more about the industry and what a job in industry entails.



No comments:

Post a Comment