Wednesday 30 November 2011

Leicester city painting

This week I've been during scenes of buildings around Leicester.

I have drawn 12 prep sketches and have found a building I really like due to the lighting when I was there and the large panes of glass that surround the restaurant. Also the building from a certain angle reminded me of Edward Hopper's painting called nighthawks. So I decided to do a digital painting for my final.


The Nighthawks painting has influenced a lot of people, Ridley Scott has said “I was constantly waving a reproduction of this painting under the noses of the production team to illustrate the look and the mood I was after”. When he was directing the film Blade Runner. Also the painting was recreated in the style of The Simpsons for one of their episodes called Homer versus the 18th Amendment.


Here is the final outcome of my painting. the left-hand side of the image resembles the Nighthawks and is very empty, this forces the viewer’s eyes onto the focal point of the image. The focal point being the restaurant, I would like to add some characters into the scene as it would give the painting some life.

No comments:

Post a Comment